Thursday, January 19, 2012

Runners Aren't Fat.

So.... the title may be a bit harsh... but it's true!

Think about it. Runners are always toned, healthy, agile and able. At least that's what I see when I view runners.

I want to run. I mean, looking at me, I obviously don't project that image. However, I have ALWAYS been jealous of those who run... those who LIKE to run. I especially seem to get the urge to run when it's cold. To me it just makes sense. Adrenaline is pumping, cold air against what little exposed skin there is and the sweat that forms won't make you want to pass out AS badly. Again, this is at least what I think/envision.

On the topic of envisioning a runner, in my head, I... ME... I can run! I can run down the road and back. I can run down to the other end of the street, make the block, run back and be home again. Alas, I have never run. Well, not in my adult life. I ran in kickball (when I was chosen), I ran when playing Red Rover (flashbacks of being clothes-lined... not fun). Other than that, no running.

Let's also remember real quick that I'm STILL at a plateau.

SO. Last night, I decided BECAUSE runners aren't fat.... and I don't want to be fat... that *cue light bulb flashing above my head* I should start running!

I. was. scared.

But, well, I did it. Mostly.

I started the Couch to 5k program. I let my self-consciousness of people watching me at the gym overpower my mind and never did actually "jog". Did I walk really really fast to the point that I was essentially/could have possibly jogged? -- Yes.

I figure if I complete Week 1 at this fast walking/not jog, I will just do Week 1 again -- Self-Consciousness be gone!


So. There we are. I'm headed down the running path. I'm determined. I'm scared. I'm sore.

I also did Zumba about 20 minutes after finishing the first Week walk/jog.

Endorphins make me crazy.


Tips, stories, thoughts? --- I appreciate YOU for reading and your comments. Always. :)

6 comments:

  1. woo hoo! If you have any questions at all about running don't hesitate to ask! I know a lot of ppl who loved couch to 5k! You CAN do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly appreciate that! I must say, I read your recent post about Running for Beginners and was inspired to ACTUALLY start Couch to 5k rather than just think about starting it. I'm sure I'm going to start asking many questions... Once I get past this self-consciousness thing. :)

      Delete
  2. Just one question....are you me? I mean, are you a cloned version of me inside my head? I know this sounds crazy, but everything you say....I feel like your pulling that out of my head!! LOL! Proud of you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, Thank you! It's hard to think that the girl I was controlled my life. She's still there... and still likes to make me think I can't succeed. It's even hard to accept that I've lost a pants size. Overcoming my fear of being personal and open has allowed me to share so much and become vulnerable. It's exciting though, to see that I'm not alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No mam, you are definitely not alone. My outer chubbby girl and I have been in a boxing match my entire life! ha ha! (well, at least the part of life I can remember...I was skinny until puberty, after that..game over :( )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO proud of you! Keep your head up and keep kicking butt!

    ReplyDelete